innov8tive Minds are proud to represent the UK Trade & Investment’s Global Entrepreneur Programme (GEP).
In our opinion the UK remains one of the best places in the world to commercialise and scale-up technology businesses as a result of its entrepreneur-friendly policy and tax environment, its business support and talent base.
The Global Entrepreneur Programme (GEP) has been created to assist foreign early-stage (including pre-revenue) high potential companies take advantage of the UK’s world-class startup environment to exploit their opportunity and build globally scalable operations from the UK.
What does it offer foreign startups?
GEP is essentially a “softlandings programme” designed to offer bespoke rather than generic support. As such each business is assessed and a package of support developed specific to the needs identified. Its all about personal interaction and never a “computer say’s No” exercise! It offers:
- Access and introductions to networks, guidance and insights of internationally successful entrepreneurs (all of the Dealmakers representing the programme have owned/own businesses, raised capital and had significant exits).
- Access and introductions to investors, investment/angel networks and public funding programmes
- Links to potential customers, joint venture and research partners
- Practical advice on setting up and scaling a business from the UK
- Support and guidance on immigration issues
- Access to an exclusive alumni of GEP clients
Examples of Support
Cyber Security Company (India) 2014. Accepted onto GEP and migrated to Leeds in the North of England where academic partners and access to talent/developers had been identified. Introductions to senior officials within the UK MOD and Home Office lead to new contracts of significant value.
Novel agri-chemical (Lativa) 2015. Accepted onto GEP and migrated to West Yorkshire in the North of England as a consequence of the identification of appropriate research expertise, seedcorn bio-tech funds and access to potential first customer. This is a very early stage business with formulation and molecule IP protected but which requires lots of staged funding to eventually get to market. The regional GEP Dealmaker identified locations and made introductions to bio-economy network and funds, government research agencies and various UK universities to identify skills and funding.
Accounting Platform Add-On (New Zealand and US) 2015. Two companies are currently being supported by GEP to identify suitable UK locations and access specific support to: finance their growth (both are globally scalable and have defined/proven business models), both have the ability to become platform agnostic and so are being introduced to other platforms and appropriate development/business development teams within these, both have been introduced to ICAEW for accreditation and visibility to a wider UK customer audience outside of the platform marketplace and both have been connected to relevant sources of talent, skills and new customers. One has secured a significant contract to “white label” their product for a “big Four” accounting firm’s enterprise product.
Programme Entry Criteria
GEP only accepts c120 companies per annum. Companies are carefully selected based upon the following criteria:
- all participants MUST set up a British company. It must be more than a simple sales and marketing presence, and must pay British taxes.
- a founder or senior decision-maker must be based in the UK.
- the business plan must show a capital requirement of c£2m. GEP can assist capital raising and funding via introductions to both investors (of all types) and public funding specific to technology and/or startups. Where this assistance is not required the c£2m requirement acts as an indication of the scalability and potential of the business.
- the company growth projections should indicate that a minimum of 7 high-value (salaries in excess of £30kpa) will be created in a maximum of 3 years.
- IP or certainly knowledge-based product or service.
The Global Entrepreneur Programme exists to encourage international entrepreneurs and founders to exploit their global opportunities from the UK. To access the UK’s world-class investment networks, academic and research talent, skills and business support, customers.
Our team is dispersed within the UK and the world to ensure incoming companies “land” in absolutely the best environment to accelerate their growth. Within the GEP Dealmaker team we have expertise in:
- Big data, infrastructure, IT
- Health Tech (data and devices)
- Creative and Digital
- Advanced Manufacturing
- Bio-economy and AgriTech
For further information please contact Amanda Lennon at Amanda.email@example.com and see Global Entrepreneur Programme on YouTube